PhotoMedex is a leader in the dermatology market in disease management and skin rejuvenation. It offers a wide selection of innovative products and services including XTRAC excimer laser and fiber-optic systems for the treatment of car-diovascular and vascular disease. It also has the first FDA market-cleared excimer laser system to treat dermatological applications such as psoriasis and vitiligo.
The system allows PhotoMedex specilaists to use the high dose of UVB energy right to the spot of the problem area for fast and effective treatment while minimizing the risk of expo-sure to healthy skin.
Laser application in dermatology and cosmetology
The use of laser technology in aesthetic medicine is due to the use of unique properties of laser radiation in techniques for eliminating aes-thetic imperfections of the skin and its rejuvenation. Aesthetic medicine that the widest range of laser devices used.
Laser can be used in dermatology, cosmetology and aesthetic medicine as a tool for bloodless dissection, evaporation and coagulation of soft tissues, for laser resurfacing and destruction of vascular skin pathologies.
Laser radiation has the following effects:
- anti-inflammatory effect;
- decongestant action;
- normalization of microcirculation;
- analgesic effect;
- stimulation of tissue regeneration;
- bacteriostatic effect;
- immunostimulating effect;
- neurotropic effect;
- antispasmodic action.
In dermatology, it is used for the following diseases:
- herpes simplex;
- prevention of the formation of keloid scars.
The fundamental difference between the laser method and the action of alternative methods (radio wave and electrosurgery, cryosurgery, mechanical dermabrasion, scalpel excision) is that the laser beam has no mechanical contact with the operated tis-sues, and the zone of thermal damage in several times less. The wounds inflicted by the laser beam heal without leukocyte infil-tration, which helps to accelerate the regeneration process. Laser radiation, due to monochromaticity and coherence, has a high power density, which allows you to selectively affect pathological tissues without significant damage to neighboring tissues. The impact of the laser beam is carried out with high accuracy on any size sections of biological tissue on groups and individual cells.
A laser is most widely used in medical practice due to the ability to provide a wide range of effects on biological tissue – resection, coagulation, evaporation of soft biological tissues, layered and fractional ablation of soft biological tissues, surgical treatment and wound healing.
Laser radiation is perceived by biological tissue from the up-permost layers, which makes it possible to provide the most del-icate, minimally invasive, depth-controlled effect, eliminating relapses (overheating, scarring, etc.) and, as a result, quick re-covery and rehabilitation of the patient after the procedures.
How is the dermatological laser procedure performed?
Skin treatment and removal of tumors is performed by qualified dermatologists. Experienced doctors will not only eliminate external skin problems but also prevent or minimize their further appearance.
- Before a laser procedure, a dermatologist must consult you to clarify the problem;
- The procedure is carried out in the office of manipulation;
- There is no need for pain relief during the elimination of small neoplasms;
- To reduce discomfort when removing larger formations or during the treatment of moles, anesthetic cream or lidocaine injections are used before the laser procedure;
- Anesthetic cream is used before the procedure of skin restoration or elimination of age spots;
- The procedure is painless and lasts only a few minutes;
- Fast and effective results;
- There is no need for rehabilitation; compliance with a gentle regimen is required for 2 weeks – the treated area cannot be washed, scratched, and it is also forbidden to visit the pool, bathhouse, etc.
Contraindications for laser therapy
Laser therapy is used with caution in patients with oncological diseases, diabetes mellitus, hypertension and thyrotoxicosis in the stage of decompensation, severe heart rhythm disturbances, angina of the 3rd to 4th functional classes and circulatory insufficiency of the 2nd and 3rd stages, blood diseases, the threat of bleeding, active form of tuberculosis, mental illness, as well as with individual intolerance.
Thus, laser radiation is a powerful aid in the treatment of patients with various dermatological diseases and the method of choice in surgical dermatology and cosmetology.